Laura Capinas Psychotherapy Private Practicesional Experience
July 2008 – Current
EMDR certified therapist and Approved Consultant certified by EMDRIA. Sonoma County Certified Family Court Therapist for High Conflict Families.
- Providing individual and family psychotherapy and mental health and behavioral assessments;
Consultations to public and private schools regarding peer conflicts, bullying, 504 and IEP plans, and behavior plans.
- Lecturer at Live Oak Preschool regarding best practices for parenting your toddler.
- Specializing in: anxiety disorders for adults, teens, and children; treatment of child abuse/neglect; adult survivors of abuse/neglect; treatment of trauma & violence; chronic pain management; parenting support; grief; family therapy; high conflict divorce and co-parenting; behavior assessments and plans for children.
- Treatment Modalities: Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy; Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR); Feeling State Addiction Protocol (FSAP); Flash Technique; Heartmath Biofeedback; Play Therapy; Sand Tray Therapy; Filial Therapy; Art Therapy; Family Therapy; Co-parent counseling; Reunification Therapy; Behavior Modification/Parent Coaching.
- Supervise Interns in training for their psycho-therapy license; Supervise EMDR therapists for EMDRIA and EMDRIA Approved Consultant certification.
Contract Psychotherapist with Alliance Medical Center
January 2005 – May 2008 (Cloverdale, CA)
School Social Worker. Provided counseling services for children and their families grades K-12 (50% Latino, 50% Caucasian) in rural area.
- Identify, assess, and provide treatment recommendations for children at risk of child abuse and substance abuse; intimate partner violence intervention for families with children attending school.
- Behavioral therapy used in classrooms for emotionally disturbed children.
- Individual and group psychotherapy for children with emotional and behavioral problems.
- Parenting support and advocacy for families in poverty or with mental illness.
Social Advocates for Youth
2008 – May 2018
Assess and diagnose mental illness; Autism screenings; child abuse/neglect, and intimate partner violence; provide brief treatment to individuals and families with Medi-Cal for anxiety, trauma, and behavioral problems.
Cornerstone Counseling Center
May 2004 – August 2005 (Cleveland, GA)
Contract Psychotherapist in 5 North Georgia Counties.
- Provided in home individual and family therapy for children at risk of being removed for abuse/neglect, intimate partner violence assessment and intervention, for children in foster care, and for juvenile offenders recently released from juvenile hall.
- Conducted and wrote detailed family assessments and substance abuse assessments for Child Protective Services, the Department of Juvenile Justice, and the courts.
- Co-facilitated group therapy for adolescents in recovery from substance abuse.
- Testified in court regarding progress of court ordered clients in therapy.
The Mentor Network
2004, (Decatur, GA)
Contract Psychotherapist for North Georgia.
- Provided in-home family therapy through the post adoption state service for children at risk of being removed from adoptive homes.
- Wrote detailed family assessments.
Personal Business Development
November 2002 – February 2004
Traveled abroad to enhance Spanish language skills and cultural knowledge of Latin America.
Dekalb County of Family and Children’s Services
September 2001 – October 2002 (Decatur, GA)
Case Manager for Child Protective Services.
- Investigated allegations of physical, sexual, and emotional abuse and neglect in inner city Atlanta via in home assessments.
- Conducted psycho-social assessments of children and families.
- Removed children at risk of severe harm or death with the various police departments; worked daily, collaboratively with detectives from the Dekalb, Fulton, and Atlanta police departments.
- Presented cases of abuse or neglect to Dekalb County juvenile court judges at detentional hearings.
- Testified in court adjudicatory hearings regarding child maltreatment; created and presented to the court a short term and long term plan for the family.
University of Georgia School of Social Work
May 2000 (Athens, GA)
Masters degree in Social Work, Graduated
Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University
International Health Continuing Education Student
Graduated May 1996 (Atlanta, GA)
B.A., Psychology Major